"design is thinking made visual"

"design is thinking made visual"

birthdays, heights, and lots of snow

Saturday 24 March 2012

I am fully aware that I am months behind, so I am going to catch you up..or give my best attempt anyway. I figured one of the first adventures I took when I got here was a good starting point. For my birthday, my sweet boyfriend planned a weekend trip to Chamonix, France with two close friends from school(Beatriz & Catarina). We rented a car, and made the long drive up to the Alps. Stew will probably kill me for sharing this story, but I just have to. To get to Chamonix there is a huge tunnel you have to go through. It connects where France & Italy meet. Before you go through the tunnel, you have to pay a fee, you get a brochure on specific instructions and rules to follow in the tunnel. You have to go x amount of mph but not over x amount, you must keep x amount of meters between you and the car ahead, you must listen to the rules on a special radio station before & while in the tunnel...you get the drill. While we were CRUISING through the tunnel, I thought I saw a flash. We thought it was the girls taking pictures in the back seat, so we continued on. Keep in mind, this tunnel takes forever to get to the other side. We saw another flash, & quickly realized that it did not belong to a camera inside the car, but outside. Great. When we got out of the tunnel there were a few Police waiting. They gestured for us to stop. We got 3 speeding tickets in the tunnel. Two in Italy, and one in France. It was a downer way to start the trip, but we couldn't help but laugh. I am not sure I have ever met anyone else who can say they got three speeding tickets within a ten minutes time frame, in two different countries.

The weekend we went, there was actually a huge ski event so the little town was packed with people. I can't even tell you how many times I heard or said "This place is beautiful". It literally looks like Narnia. We found the best restaurant for my "birthday dinner". After getting some proper snow gear, we had some fun in the Alps. One of my favorites, was taking the Panoramic Mont-Blanc Gondola to the very tip top of the mountain. 3,842 meters high. Literally the tip top. It is the highest cable car traverse in the world. You are literally hanging by a cable nearly 2.5 miles above the ground. Ask me if I was scared. Pretty sure I stopped breathing a few times. Then again that could have also been the altitude. The view from the top was one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen. It was a perfect birthday.

PhotobucketPhotobucket





Photobucket

Photobucket



Photobucket



Photobucket



Photobucket

0 comments:

Post a Comment

ELLE All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger